Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Whiter Shade of Pale: Part 2

The two instruments I'm making with the salvaged white oak are coming along nicely. I've started carving the peg head figures for the small epinette des Vosges, and I've put the second coat of tung oil on the small psaltery.

As I've mentioned before, the epinette is based on an original from 1850, and the psaltery is based on one depicted in the 12th century Spanish illuminated manuscript, Cantigas de Santa Maria.

My long-range plan is to make several of the stringed instruments in the Cantigas de Santa Maria, including some other styles of psalteries, some plucked and strummed instruments, and another of the small symphonies (early hurdy gurdy). Of course I'll be making more Mountain dulcimers (my first love), and some other dulcimer ancestors, like an 1850 Pennsylvania German scheitholt-style dulcimer, which is one I'm currently restoring. I took many pictures and measurements and recently drew up a set of plans so I can build one, probably after this year's show season.

More to come!

No comments: