Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Epinette des Vosges

Time is just a-slippin' by. It seems that very soon I'll be getting everything ready to pack up for the Bellevue ArtsFair, then San Francisco, then Sausalito. I'm still trying to get a few more things done for the shows. I will have a new epinette des Vosges ready to go very soon. Like I've mentioned in previous installements, it's a small one, based on an 1850 5-string I found on the internet. Today I put the first coat of tung oil on it. I haven't thought about a name for it yet, but I'll think of one soon.

This epinette is 100% salvaged wood. It is a gorgeous flamed white oak that I resawed from a broken drop-leaf table, probably from the 1940s or 1950s. This is the second instrument I've made from this wood. I've got quite a bit left, so I'm sure there will be other completely different instruments coming later in the year.

No comments: